Study authentic & profound Buddhist teachings with a coherent curriculum
Mangalam Online Course provides podcasts, books, and quizzes for thorough study of Buddhist teachings.
Participants will be guided through carefully curated content before their understanding of the materials are quizzed.
A certificate will be awarded upon successful completion of the course.
FOUR NOBLE TRUTHS & SIXTEEN ASPECTS
Four Noble Truths and Sixteen Aspects are regarded as the central teaching of the Buddhist tradition and provide the framework upon which all other Buddhist ethics, philosophy, and meditation are based. These Noble Truths are the truth of suffering, the origin of suffering, the cessation of suffering, and the path leading to nirvana.
Although we may already be familiar with this core doctrine, by repeatedly studying the Four Noble Truths and their sixteen corresponding aspects, our realizations on the spiritual path can become more transformative and profound.
In this course, you will:
- Receive transmission and commentaries on Four Noble Truths and Sixteen Aspects from 8 podcasts.
- Learn Four Noble Truths and Sixteen Aspects following a curriculum from "Awakening to the Noble Truth Curriculum". Please click here to purchase this book.
- Study commentaries on Four Noble Truths and Sixteen Aspects from "Awakening to the Noble Truth". Please click here to purchase this book.
- Test your understanding by taking quizzes. The Awakening to the Noble Truth Curriculum consists of 21 classes, each of which has quizzes. At least 80% grade of the quizzes is required for completion of this course.
Heart Sutra contains extensive teachings of the perfection of wisdom that help us go beyond both Samsara and Nirvana to discover the wisdom and compassion of complete enlightenment.
The perfection of wisdom teachings are complementary to the thirty-seven awakening paths of Theravada Buddhism. The wisdom teachings are also indispensable in establishing the perfect view of emptiness necessary to practicing the two stages of the tantric sadhana.
In this course, you will:
- Receive transmission on Heart Sutra in Sanskrit and Tibetan from podcasts before starting the course.
- Study commentaries on Heart Sutra from 16 podcasts.
- Learn Heart Sutra following a curriculum from "The Wisdom Gone Beyond: Curriculum for Teachings on the Heart Sutra". Please click here to purchase this book.
- Study commentaries on Heart Sutra from "The Wisdom Gone Beyond: Teachings on the Heart Sutra". Please click here to purchase this book.
- Test your understanding by taking quizzes. The Heart Sutra Curriculum consists of 27 classes, each of which has quizzes. At least 80% grade of the quizzes is required for completion of this course.
KHEN RINPOCHE LAMA MIGMAR TSETEN
Lama Migmar has been serving Harvard-wide student, faculties, and staff as a Buddhist Chaplain since 1997. He received both a traditional and a contemporary education in India. He graduated with an Acharya degree in 1979 from Tibetan Institute of Sanskrit University, Varanasi, India, and with first position every nine years among four schools of Tibetan Buddhism. He was awarded a medal for academic excellence by His Holiness The Dalai Lama. He was also recognized as Khenpo for his scholarship and service to the Dharma by His Holiness the Sakya Trizin.
Lama Migmar served as the head of Sakya Center in Rajpur, India, and the Sakya Monastery in Puruwalla, India, from 1981 to 1989, taking care of the well being of several hundred monastic residents. During this time he reintroduced the original form of the geshe educational system of Tibet, with degrees from kazhipa up to the rabjampa degree, with a curriculum that included all of the eighteen major texts, which are known as the Dragchen Chogyed.
Lama Migmar has supervised the editing and publication of over 50 rare volumes of Sakya literature including the 31 volumes of Sakya Lamdre and the rare Golden Manuscripts of the Five Founding Masters of Sakya. He founded Sakya Institute for Buddhist Studies in Cambridge, MA in 1990. Lama Migmar has also authored and published many books covering various subjects from Hinayana, Mahayana, and Vajrayana traditions, including, "Awakening to the Noble Truth", "Awakening to the Noble Truth Curriculum", "Wisdom Gone Beyond", "Wisdom Gone Beyond Curriculum", "The Play of Mahamudra", "The Tibetan Book of Awakening", "Treasures of the Sakya Lineage", "Visions", "Arya Tara Practice Manual", and "Yoga, Mindfulness & Mantra for Peaceful Living and Dying". More information about Lama Migmar's publications can be found at Mangalamkosha Publications. Lama Migmar has also established Mangalam Studio in 2013 to share spiritual arts, teachings, and practices via podcasts, videos, practice texts, and other types media to the public for free. In 2017, Lama Migmar established Mangalam Online Course to provide systematic Dharma studies and practices available around the globe. He has been leading many retreats at Buddhist centers throughout North America and Europe. He is one of the lead faculties at Kripalu in Berkshire, MA. Lama Migmar is also a visiting teacher at Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat Bahamas and The Art of Living Retreat Center.